Saturday 8 February 2014

Curried Cauliflower Soup

Had a big cauliflower in my pantry, was not sure of what to do after parathas, gobi 65 and so on, realized that why not I give a try to a soup out of this. Usually when I try something new, either I try as instructed in the recipe or with slight changes but never I change measurements. But this time as I had large portion left out I thought to give a try with my own ways, with my own varied ingredients including Indian spices too. Fairly speaking I had no idea how would it turn out nor I had any plans to blog about it. But it turned out extremely delicious. I din't want to miss sharing it with my readers. I would hence forth try again, not only me, my kid too enjoyed it lots. It was more creamy in nature though no cream went in the making. I believe cauliflower can act as a base in many gravy based curries instead of cashew based or cornflour based because of their creamy nature when cooked and blended. I should try some day. Here I share the recipe for the same.

Ingredients:
Cauliflower florets-1 ½cup
Onion-½ finely chopped if big, 1 if small
Cumin seeds/Jeera -1 tsp.
Garam masala-1 ¼ tsp.
Milk-2 ½ cup
Water-3 cups
Pepper-½ tsp.
Cashew nuts-handful halved.
Oil-1 tbsp.
Garlic salt-1 ½ tsp
Oregano- for garnish
Salt to taste

Recipe:

  1. In a pan add oil, when hot add cumin seeds, followed by onions and saute till translucent.
  2. Then add garlic salt to it.
  3. Now saute and then add cleaned cauliflower florets.
  4. Add garam masala and mix well.
  5. Now add 2 cups water and cook till the florets are tender.
  6. Once well cooked transfer them to blender,cool and blend well without adding any water.
  7. Transfer it to a heating pot and to that add 1 cup water and milk and cook it till you see bubbles.
  8. As you see bubbles add pepper and salt to taste. Mix and simmer for a minute or so.
  9. Dry roast the cashew nuts well. Add them on top of the soup, garnish with oregano and serve right away piping hot.





Notes:
  1. Adjust water and milk according to the thickness you desire.
  2. Use cream if you wish, but the soup tends to be creamy without involving cream.
  3. You may add finely chopped cilantro/parsley on top.


Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment